A to Z Blogging Challenge 2012: Hope


Ready for week two? Well, ready or not, here we come! Today's post is brought to you by the letter "H". I want to take a moment to discuss that emotional state, the opposite to despair, which is a positive outcome related to events to come or even circumstances in one's life. I'm talking about HOPE. That's right. Hope.  The news has a saying, "If it bleeds, it leads". That explains why the news is always so negative. That leaves us thinking the world is hopeless. That all we can do is dream that it will get better. Hope is a very strong word. Hope can be all the fuel one needs to ignite the fires of change...and it's free! It doesn't cost a dime to have hope. Yes, it's true it may cost you energy but the returns are far greater than the effort you put into it. I like how Emily Dickinson put it in her poem 254 (Hope) :
254

"Hope" is the thing with feathers-
That perches in the soul-
And sings the tune without the words-
And never stops-at all-

And sweetest-in the Gale-is heard-
And sore must be the storm-
That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm-

I've heard it in the chillest land-
And on the strangest Sea-
Yet, never, in Extremity,
it asked a crumb-of Me.

-Emily Dickinson

That pretty much sums it up (at least for  Emily and me). Hope is something that gives to us and never takes from us. It adds to us. It encourages us. It drives us. Hope is air for the psyche!

Now for my "theme" of the A to Z Challenge:

Today's homophone...

Here (adverb) in this place; in this spot or locality.
For example: Here is great place to start reading the blogs for the A to Z Blogging Challenge. 

Hear (verb) to learn by ear or by being told
For example: Did you hear the sweet sound of the email notification? 

Click  to be transported to a list of merry bloggers!

Happy reading! 

3 comments:

Liz Brownlee said...

Lovely poem, I enjoy most of hers. Her animal ones of course! Great blog.

If you are interested, I'm leaving you my A-Z link as blogger always identifies me as my shared blog with other poets - my A-Z is this one: http://www.lizbrownleepoet.com

nutschell said...

wonderful poetry. Hope is definitely something all writers must have:)

Great A-Z post!
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

David Wagner said...

A daily homophone! What a great/grate idea, lol!

Just passin' by on my haphazard trip through the A-to-Z bloglink list... nice to meetcha!

Dave the Goof

Post a Comment