A to Z Blogging Challenge 2011: O

*The following is part of the A to Z Blogging Challenge 2011*


Today's post is brought to you by the letter O...as in Open-minded!

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.
- James Dewar

Throughout my life I've heard people need to be more open-minded. But what exactly is open-mindedness?  For me it is simply being open to hear other’s ideas. It doesn't necessarily mean that I agree with them or their ideas but I at least listen with the option to agree or disagree. Sounds easy but it isn't always. I know people who don’t truly listen to others. They sit there quietly, lips pursed, waiting the speaker out until they can interject with their own opinion never having heard a word the speaker laid out before them. That is not being open-minded.

It’s also not the acceptance of all ideas. We’ve gotten lost in the idea that to be open-minded one most accept ALL ideas and philosophies. That’s not being open-minded. That’s being a follower. That’s being a canvas for someone else to decide what you are or aren’t. You can make a stand and be open-minded. Listen to the facts. HEAR all the facts. And make an educated yet passionate (passion being your heart and soul) decision on what to accept or reject. I feel like I’m a pretty open-minded person. I listen to everything people say. Filter out what’s not needed. Take in what is. And make the best decision for myself.
Open-minded does not mean all accepting. In short, it means being open to hear what others have to say. How Open-minded are you…really? 

6 comments:

shelly said...

Very good take on being open-minded.

Anonymous said...

Great post. I'm very open minded. Seeing other people's side also helps in writing.

Sarah Allen said...

Very good post! I think you're right, being open-minded is incredibly important.

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)

PK HREZO said...

There is so much you miss when you're closed minded. It's really important in this world to be able to see things from others POV. Doesn't mean they're right, but there's usually a reason for their thought.

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

Good post.
I've love getting all sides of things so I'm open-minded. I thought I was just being nosy.

Author Joshua Hoyt said...

Good post I really like the parachute thought.

Post a Comment