A to Z Blogging Challenge 2011: E

*The following is part of the A to Z Blogging Challenge 2011*


To is brought to you by the letter E....as in etymology. What is etymology you ask? Well, I'm so glad you did ask. Etymology, simply put, is the study of the origins of words, where they came from, how they came about, how they changed over history, and basically anything you can think of regarding a word. 

One of my favorite sites is the Online Etymology Dictionary. Wonder how ain't came about? Did you know it's always been a real word? I know English teachers out there, you're in shock and awe and  you're ready to string me up but it's there. 


ain't Look up ain't at Dictionary.com



1706, originally a contraction of am not, and in proper use with that sense until it began to be used as a generic contraction for are not, is not, etc., in early 19c. Cockney dialect of London; popularized by representations of this in Dickens, etc., which led to the word being banished from correct English.      ~Online Etymology Dictionary

Next time you wonder about a word, not so much its meaning but why we use it, check out the link above. You may just be amused. 

~Cat

5 comments:

Author Joshua Hoyt said...

That is interesting. My mother loves studying words and their origins. It is fun to find out about different words and why we use them.

shelly said...

I knew it was real word. Wait til I tell my critique group.

Angela said...

Ha! Ain't is fine. Love this post.

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

There's a couple of nuns I'd like to send this post.
You wouldn't have any idea about postage to the other side, would you?
Just kidding but I do enjoy learning this sort of thing.


GigglesandGuns

SueH said...

My English teacher will be turning in her grave! (she was one of the proper ennunciation 'gestapo'!)

Thankyou for this link - will be exploring that in due course!

SueH I refuse to go quietly!

Post a Comment