Musing Mondays (Feb. 28)

Musing Mondays is a bookish meme hosted by MizB on Should be reading.
This week’s musing asks…
Which do you prefer: Adult -or- Young Adult books? Or, both? Why?

I'm a 50/50 on this question. Why? Well, simply because I don't particularly care for smut books but I've never been a YA book fan either. However, I have to admit that I've found a couple of books in both genres 
 that I dove into that I didn't realize were what they were until after I already was well engrossed in them.  I'll even admit I was enamored by the whole Twilight story.  I have enjoyed some YA books that were just good old fashion stories of  youth trials and tribulations. 


I do not like the traditional adult romance book. I admit it. I know I'm a female and we have certain things we're suppose to like: shopping, flowers, pink ruffles, romance books, etc. I didn't get some essential gene that makes me a complete member of the girly club. Yes, my mother weeps often because of this. Anyway, I can't stand the simple romance book for pure purpose have having smut scenes. Don't get me wrong when in context hot romance scenes are a ok with me. I only have a couple of series that I like that contain this genre. I can't say that I've ever made it through an entire chapter of a traditional romance book. However, YA books can tend to be a little to simple for me. Maybe that's my age growing on me or maybe it's my lack of girliness. 


 I'm more of the thriller, spy novel, or murder mystery anyway. I prefer to read about things that twist my mind not my loins. So yes young adult tends to be kinder to this aspect of my  mind. However, there are a few adult books that adhere to a non-over-the-top sexual content. Maybe that's why I prefer thrillers to sizzlers.  


PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT with either the link to your own Musing Mondays post, or share your answer in a comment here (if you don’t have a blog). Thanks! :D

1 comments:

Gigi Ann said...

I agree with you, I hate smut, I have thrown quite a few in the trash can when they started to get smutty. I am not anyone else's censor, but I do censor my own reading. I find I like Debbie Macomber, Barbara Delinsky, and Jodi Thomas, Kristin Hannah, for the very reason their books are cozy romance, if any romance is involved. They are four of my favorite authors. I also like cozy mysteries, but not the suspense/ thriller, there is just to much graphic slaughtering in those books for my taste, but, that is just my viewpoint. Isn't it nice we have so many genres to choose from? Then everyone is pleased.

Thanks for your visit to My Reading Corner today.

Post a Comment