Paper or e-ink

One of my first memories of books was a couple of LP records my grandfather sent me in when we were stationed in Spain.. They were recordings of Snow White and a tour of It's a Small World in Disney and the Haunted Mansion. The records covers contained read along books. I remember listening to the stories and pretending to read the words at the bottom of the pages. I loved those stories. I also remember how pro-book my mom was growing up Books were to be respected. Honored even. I remember her telling me books could take you to any place you want to go and they were an escape from the real world when you needed to get away from the here and now. When I got in school I didn't get a really good start at reading. My first grade teacher was expecting her first child and she wasn't really concerned with teaching us how to read. I did learn how to copy letters off the board and color between the lines. But as far as learning to read, it didn't happen. Thanks to that I hated reading all through school. It wasn't until I was a young adult that I started liking to read again.Now I wish I could just sit and read all day long. Life is funny like that, isn't it? 

Now here it is the night before my 39th Birthday and I'm going to read until I fall asleep. The biggest difference now is that most of my books come on my Kindle in digital form. I love my Kindle. It makes carrying over a hundred books at one time super easy.  I love that I can have a book at the push of a button. Yet I still love the feel, smell, and look of physical book. My biggest problem now is to decide what to get in paperback, hardback, or in e-format. Most of my quick reads are in e-format because I don't have to have them delivered and they don't stack up all over the place. Once in a while I stumble across a book at the book store that just feels good to hold. The story is good. The author is someone I like. Or I just need my physical book fix. It's funny that with all my techie vices I still revert to the good old fashion pulp...a book...in physical form. By the way, the Dollar General Store has some of the best books for under $3. I've found several really good books that I hadn't ever hear of before. 

So do I think ereaders will ever erase physical books? No, no way. I love my Kindle. First I had it as an app on my iPhone and now I have the real thing. I love that I have it and wouldn't trade it for anything. But I will always browse the paperback and hard back sections. I'll always have a book on my bookshelf. I'll always have a home for the pages that let me escape. How about you? What do you prefer and if you had to choose just one format what would it be and why? For me, paper always wins out. Call me old fashion. I just love getting lost in those pages. Like my mom said. I can always escape into their pages. Thank God for that. 

Category: 0 comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment