Musing Mondays (May 30)

I've been a little silent with the MEMEs lately so I thought I'd jump back on the bandwagon. I've really missed them. Musing Mondays is a bookish meme hosted by MizB on Should be reading.
This week’s musing asks…
Describe the last time you were stumped for something to read, and you took measures to remedy that — either by going to the bookstore, the library, or shopping elsewhere. What book did you choose? Did it get you out of your slump?
Since I have several stacks of TBR books screaming for me to get to them I can say that I haven't ran into this problem lately. I did, however, have this problem or shall I say a several year period that was my reading slump a while back when all I ever did was read textbooks. One night, after several in a row battling insomnia, I decided to go looking for a book and couldn't find any that either didn't have textual content or pictures of Star Wars storm troopers in them. My oldest, who was at the time freshly graduated from high school, came to my rescue with a little series he had read in high school English. Now don't judge me. lol It was the Twilight series. I am usually an anti-crazy book fiend. I steer clear of all the "IT" books of the time. Let me just add this was several years after the books initially  were released. The first movie had been released (which I had to take my son and his little girlfriend to see). So I feel confident that I did not sell out. I read all 4 books in less than a week and half. After all, I had finals, kids to raise, work to work, and a household to run. I could have read them all in a few days but as usual life gets in the way. All I'll say about the books is that at the time I was mesmerized by them. Blame the insomnia or the lack of entertainment reading for an extended period of time because now, although I like the stories, I doubt that I could read them again. My tastes have matured.  

Now a days as I said before there's always a book within reach. I will say that I can not avoid bookstores, book racks, online book places, or even the little spinner thing at the Dollar General store. I must always touch a book when I go to a store. It's not an illness, it's a way of life. Right now I'm working to finish a book I flew through for a review but want to really get the whole picture and then I'll tackle that TBR list. The physical one and the Kindle one. You just gotta love a good book!

So what about you? Been in a slump? What got you out of it? Or what do you think it will take to get you out of it? 

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT with either the link to your own Musing Mondays post, or share your answer in a comment here (if you don’t have a blog). Thanks! 

P.S. 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL, if it helped you get out of the slump then it was worth it.

Here's mine:
http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2011/05/musing-mondays_30.html

Anonymous said...

HAha, I run to the bookstore! Works wonders!

Nat @ Reading Romances
Small Blogs, Big Giveaways

gautami tripathy said...

Just being around books works but then it doesn't. Contradiction???

Here is my Monday: Mailbox/What Are You Reading?/Musings post!

Kristyn said...

I'm with you, I've always got a book within reach. Lately, all I want to do is read! Unfortunately, I have to study for the Comps, boo! Still, I find time to get in some reading for fun.

Stopping in to say hello for Musing Mondays and am a new follower. Have a lovely week!

Cat said...

Kristyn, It's hard to balance reading and education isn't it? I'm ready for a break myself. Good luck on your comps!

Post a Comment