IT'S MY GRADUATION DAY!!!!!

I’m graduating today! Yes, I am finally, after two decades, receiving my Associates in Arts. I have more credit hours than any one undergrad would ever need but I did it. It feels like I’ve broken an invisible barrier. I was the first person in my family to graduate high school (although my father is the most intelligent man I know). That was an accomplishment then. After that, anyone who was in school, finished.

Now I’ve gone on to achieve my Associates. I know it’s just an Associates degree but it’s so much  more to my family. I knew it was important to me and to my parents but I wasn’t expecting my children to get so excited. They’re all teenagers and if I’ve heard them complain once about me doing homework, I’ve heard it a million times.  What a surprise I had when they got uber excited! They even tried to pick out something special to wear…these are all boys by the way.

This is just one small step for me. I’m off to the next step come fall. I’ll continue taking classes this summer to help with the transfer process. I’ll remain a book bound student but now with a little something extra to help me through my way. I’m going to focus on getting my BA in English Lit with a Minor in Adult Education. My mission? I want to let adults who didn’t get a chance to get the education, or any education for that matter, know that they can do this. It’s hard word but no one is unlearnable if given the right tools. Some times it’s just takes someone to let them know and show them what those tools are. Some times it’s just having someone pat them on the back and listen to their struggles. I want to make a difference and I want to share my love of written language. I also want to continue develop my writing. I’m not focused on publishing anything just developing my abilities.

One important thing I’m taking from my Associates Degree is that you should never stop learning. Always look for a new way to look at an old idea and keep your eyes open to what lies ahead. I’ve got a bright future and although, I’m entering my forties this next year, I can do anything I set my mind too as long as I keep my eyes, my heart, and my soul open. I’m graduating from Community College but entering the next phase of an amazing adventure of my education.
Category: 6 comments

6 comments:

Shelly said...

Be very proud of yourself. That's a big thing being a single mom. I know I started my college journey when the youngest of my five was one. I was by myself, too.

Congrats! And, Happy Mother's day!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! to you. This is something no one will ever be able to take away from you. I understand about all the courses. I spent many years at the local community colleges doing ... well, I'm not sure. But I got through it.

Golden Eagle said...

Congratulations!

Beverly said...

Three cheers for the dedicated, driven single mom! I too went back to college when I was newly divorced and had two small children. Way to go!

Regina said...

I am so happy for you. That is so wonderful. I wish you all the best and support along the way. Whoot! Whoot!

Have a wonderful Mother's Day!

Gigi Ann said...

Oh Cat, I am so happy for you. I agree we never stop learning. I think I have learned more in my life after school than I ever did in school. I call it the "School Of Hard Knocks". hee, hee. I'm sure your father would agree. Real life teaches us so much more then all the growing up of our school years. I so appreciate the years I spend in school, they teach us the 3 Rs. (readin', w-'ritin' and a-'rithmtic.) But 'Real Life' comes after graduation from High School. Happy studying, reading, and writing.

Post a Comment