Congrats & Thanks

Thank you to everyone who sent their congratulations and well wishes on Friday. I had the most amazing day. While I wasn't too keen on going through the ceremony I have to say I've changed my tune. It was the most gratifying experience I've been through in quite some time. After years of hard work and sometimes no so hard work that should have been hard work I donned my boxy gown and placed the cap upon my head. What looked back at me in the mirror was a woman who stood tall, more confident than years gone by, smarter yes but more so wiser in so much as to know in the grand scheme of things I'm more aware that I know even less than I thought I did in the beginning and that in and of its self has been the greatest lesson. 


Mom, Me, & Dad 
As my dear blog friend Gigi Ann stated the best education comes after classes are over. So what did College do for me? It opened my mind to the possibilities that are out there. It gave me a new appreciation for different people and a better understanding of tolerance for those who think differently from me. It also taught me that focus and determination are wonderful and necessary but there comes a time when it comes down to your support system. My family has been amazing in my journey through Higher Education. I couldn't have made it this far without my boys or my parents or my friends. They all have as much to do with me reaching this mile stone as I do. Another great lesson that I gained was that we never really realize what role models we truly are for our children. My boys blew me away with their pride in their mother. Facebook statuses were updated about my graduation, cards with handwritten note about how proud they were of me, and more hugs than I could ask for (not that I could ever get too many especially now that they are outgrowing me). My boys now talk about what they will study in college and how they will pay for it not what job they'll get but what they need to do to get there. That is a cycle long in need of breaking. 


In the past, our family only worried about putting food on the table in the here and now (which is a necessity yes) but there is more to life than just putting food on the table. I want them to find themselves and still be able to put food on the table. 


I entered the Commencement hall Friday night and felt the surge of over 300 graduates plus their families and it was like electricity. I smiled and did not quit until...well, I think there's a part of me that is still smiling. My degree was great to get. I didn't want to walk originally but did so for my parents and my children. What I found was that walking made me fully experience the last few years: all the sleepless nights, tears, laughs, struggles, hard work, new found interests, determination, and the new found interests and direction. They all came into focus. That silly hat and hot gown was the culmination of academic, spiritual, and emotional growth. When it was all done all I could think of was I wanted to do it again. And so I shall. How funny a silly ceremony can drive you to want more but it did. I'm even more inspired than I was when I began.


So off I go to hit the books again in a week to push forward. I'm headed for an English degree with a minor in Adult Ed and who knows where I'll stop.  Thank you all for your kind words. It was a wonderful experience and I would highly suggest no one miss theirs!



Category: 0 comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment