Literally figuratively




This comic strip put me in my place today. I've spent the last two days working on an online class going insane because of the way people "talk" online. The area that I live in is rural. We do have running water and even street lights. However, we are at the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains and the vernacular around here is rather relaxed country, i.e. ain't is a common word along with a ton of other interesting spins on word usage. I've ranted and mumbled all day about the way my online classmates type out their words. Especially one that is working on her teaching degree. She used ain't several times. For some reason I have a problem with someone who is going to educate our children, the future leaders of our society, using wrong vocabulary. Let me just say I'm not like the guy up there in the comic strip. I keep my opinions to myself. Quietly, under my breath correcting what the people around me say. I don't push myself or my views on other people. I in no way think of myself as better than anyone else. I have a lot to learn about a lot of things. It is, however, one of my pet peeves though I find with "seasoning" or age (however you want to look at it) I am slowly turning into that crazy stick guy...correcting the vocabulary of the world one miseducated civilian at a time. One of my favorite response from people around me when I say something absent minded to correct what someone is saying is "You ain't from around here are ya?" BINGO!!! Nope, apparently it's like a foreign country. You have to be from here to understand the natives. I honestly don't do it to be uppity or because I think I'm superior. I think it's just because I grew up elsewhere and it was pounded into our brains to use correct word usage and pronunciation (and to use all the vowels when typing). The funny thing is, I now have to try hard not to use correct word usage and not to push my word usage correctiveness on anyone else.

BTW: I do know that some of the words used in this blog are not real words nor are they used "correctly". I'm learning!

0 comments:

Post a Comment