Infatuation with Dark Dexter

I’m basically a pacifist. I don’t like to argue. I don’t like confrontation. I don’t discuss politics or religion. I don’t even like to answer people when they ask if something they’re wearing makes them look fat. I just don’t like violence or hatred or anything negative. That’s pretty normal. What I find odd about this is my new obsession with a violent and dark series, Dexter. If you don’t know, it’s a television series on Showtime that I ran across via Netflix that is a day in the life of a serial killer who works for the Miami Police department as a blood spatter analyst. No one knows what he really is, not even his foster sister who is a cop on the police force he works with. It’s dark, violent, and in some cases so far over the top it’s down right disturbing. Yet I find myself waiting by the DVD mailbox for the next to arrive from Netflix so I can find out what happens next. What does this say about me? Does it mean that I’m really a very disturbed person? After all, I’ve found myself rooting for the “bad” guy on several occasions. That’s just wrong, right? My only saving grace for my sanity is that he only kills killers. The scum of the earth. He has a code he lives by; only killing those who truly deserve it. The ones who the system let go. He punishes them for us. So I’d like to think that I’m not really a dark and ugly soul. I’d like to think that maybe it’s my way of balancing out the goody two shoes persona that invades my entire being and letting my psyche live a little wild while not staying up past my bedtime and not getting blood on the carpet. Ha! Ha! I really hope I’m not slowly losing my grip on reality here. Either way, I’m loving my dark world of Dexter and am sad to know that there’s 2 seasons not on DVD yet so I’m trying to savor the ones I have left to watch.

0 comments:

Post a Comment