The Blood-Red Pencil: Busted!—Stephenie Meyer caught doing something right

The Blood-Red Pencil: Busted!—Stephenie Meyer caught doing something right


Before anyone starts rolling their eyes, read this article. Great take on why sometimes NOT following the rules can create great work. I write what comes to me. It does not always follow the rules as far as form and structure. If the story comes to me and demands a fragment, then by golly that's what it'll have.


I've noticed that no matter what is out there to read, there is someone to praise AND criticize the work. Books are like everything else in our lives...subjective. We all come from different places in our lives. We live in different areas, sure, but I'm referring to our emotional places. We've all experienced different things in life. We are experiencing different things this very moment. Most importantly we all read for very different reasons. Some of us for pure entertainment. Some of us for escape from a harsh real world. Some of us for educational purposes. Some of us to develop our own writing style. Some of us for intellectual stimulation. No matter what reason we chose, it is different for all of us. Yet we all have the desire of each of these at some point in our lives.


Then why is that we criticize someone like Stephenie Meyer when she breaks the rules and doesn't fall in line with the others? After all, do we read things that our English teachers would have considered proper? I can't speak for everyone but I certainly do not. My reading list is so varied that I can't put myself into a category. I would venture to say that's true for most of us, if not all of us. In my reading, the writers have such variety of styles both in grammar and style that I can not pick a favorite because each style is as individual as each of us. For me, books are like my friends. Each has its own personality and style.

I couldn't really explain my addictive reading of the Twilight series to start with. After this article, I get it now. It wasn't the vampire aspect at all. It was that Meyer provided such tension, such desire, such creativeness that I wanted more. There was no quick resolution to anything. I like that. I miss that. Many of the books I've read since, at least the romantically inclined that is, have their characters in bed before chapter 3 and then drag out the conflict afterwards. I like that Meyer makes the sexual tension part of the conflict. Call me old fashion but I love the playing hard to get part especially since it is the hero's decision in this case and not the uptight heroine. I don't know why that is so appealing to me but it is.

Anywho, read the article over at The Blood-Red Pencil. Just remember, sometimes a slow walk through the park is more enjoyable than a sprint. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment