Eternal Kiss of Darkness by Jeaniene Frost (Book Review)

Eternal Kiss of Darkness (Night Huntress World, Book 2)I put off reading the second book of The Night Huntress World for awhile because frankly, I was a little disappointed in the first Night Huntress World book and the last Cat & Bones book.  I finally decided since I've been in a reading rut that I'd go ahead and read it. After all, I can pour through one of Frost’s books without looking up.

After finally reading Eternal Kiss of Darkness, I am happy to say I was quite pleased with this one. Even with this book being the story of most readers least favorite characters, Mencheres, I found myself falling in love with this guy. Frost gives a great background on why he’s behaved the way he has throughout all the other books. I found myself actually liking him because of the things he did solely because of the reasons he behaved so badly. The heroine was strong but for a reason. It seems that some strong women in books ate just strong. Kira, however, had things in her life that made her strong or at the least things that caused her to put up a strong front. I was much happier with the events that lead Kira to the supernatural world than I was to Denise's in the first book. It was believable and heart breaking at the same time. It was great how this event fueled the rest of the story in such a believable way.

What I liked about this story was the character development. To take a pretty unliked character, give the back story of why he's done the things he's done and show his regret and self condemning was well handled. The supporting characters brought in  from previous books were true to their original natures and added more than just a cameo appearance in this story. They added sustenance not only to the story but growth to themselves. (Especially, Vlad).

I was disappointed by the last two Frost books but i thoroughly enjoyed this book. Frost went back to her roots with this one and the pacing, humor, and story line was just right. Now I’m once again looking forward to the next Night Huntress book, This Side of the Grave to come out...Spring 2011!

Reading order
Halfway to the Grave

2 comments:

Deepali said...

I m glad I stumbled on this review of yours when I came to return the comment favor from my TT blogpost!
I haven't read any of her books yet! Should I start? Which one should I start with?

Cat said...

I recommend Jeaniene Frost's books highly. It's a good series...you get humor, action, some great hot love scenes (that fit the story not just gratuitous trash), and a great plot. If you get a chance read them.

Post a Comment