Split personality in a story line

I have a tendency to start something in the middle. I get an idea (an image or whatever) and I run with it. 99.999% of the time it starts in the middle of something.  Now I have over 5000 words and since I started in the middle, I decided to stop, then decided to find the start of my new make believe world. Sounds like a solid plan doesn't it?

Wrong! I am finding myself in the midst of two separate character types. My original heroine was confused and thinking she was going crazy. My second one is a control freak and large and in charge. Now I'm wondering what I should do with these two very different people. They could stand on their own but I wonder how to tie them together. You know, the whole, strong woman turns soft, then finds true strength thing? Or should I just cut them apart and let each woman have her own story? The weaker one is my main focus. The story line is there, laid before me in all its splendor. I just have to figure out how to free these two into their proper places. (Side note: their love interests are what's really messing with me. One is more controlling and the other is more of an equal. Not much of what I was headed for with these women but sometimes my Muse has ideas of her own.)

So what do you do when your literary personalities fight amongst themselves as to what they should be, should do, should say? Do you let them fight it out and fix the broken pieces later or do you fix them now, give them separate "rooms" and walk dignified into the battle field of writing to create to separate but equally balanced worlds?

These are the ramblings of woman trying to keep up with her Muse who once again has created her own agenda. Ain't life grand?

1 comments:

Regina said...

That one can't be simple. I actually have a MS regarding a split personality disorder. However, I let both of them have their shining moments since there are only two. Sort of good vs evil. Depending on the length of your total WIP, you might consider doing two separate MS. One with one personality and the sequel with the other more controlling one taking over. There are a lot of possibilities with that one. Love our Muse and their agendas. Let me know what I can do to help.

Post a Comment