Reflection from a bathroom wall

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
I love this quote. I have to admit that I hadn’t even seen it or read it until this morning. It was hanging in a simple frame on the wall next to the bathroom in the restaurant I had breakfast in. Actually, the truth is my mother spotted it and came back to the table to get me so she could show me. It’s amazing how things, er, rather how God seems to reveal things in his own perfect time. As a writer and an emerging human being, I am a work in progress. I am constantly looking for who I am or what direction I want to go in. I am also realizing I am more than what the mold of my station in life is. That sounds so harsh I’m sure but I simply mean that I do not fit into a neat little category. I am a mom.I am a student.I am a Christian.I am a daughter. A friend. A lover. A learner. A teacher. A follower. A leader. A speck in the cosmos. A boulder. I am larger than life. I am smaller than the dust. I am so much more than a label can contain. I am limited. I am limitless. I am encompassed. I am all encompassing. I am love. I am loved. I am laughter. I am laughed at. I am old. I am young. I am needy. I am needed. I am. To be myself I must be what the wind has made me today and what the rains will bring tomorrow. I cannot be the things of a category; a demographic; a quota. I am me. As I’ve said so many times before. I am me…whoever that is.

2 comments:

Teresa said...

I'm so stealing the Emerson quote for FB tonight. lol! Love it!
~t.

Cat said...

ha!ha! I'm glad that I am not the only one that now looks at the words of the world and immediately thing "Wow! That's a great FB line!" Emerson saw us as we are and as we should be!

Post a Comment