MIA via lack of negativity

I tend to write by emotion. I write best when I'm over emotional. Unfortunately, things have been pretty positive. Now that's not something you say very often but I've found that my writing is more fluff than substance. That's actually pretty sad that I do my best writing when I'm miserable. But I think emotions open the door to our creativity. It let's us open up to the raw power and let words fill in the painful gaps in our psyche.

When I write positive things they tend to be humorous and while that's all well and good I feel silly about it. I suppose because it makes me a little more human and real than the serious stuff. Plus, it makes me feel less productive. I don't know why because writing is writing. Words come out to communicate. To tell a story. To entertain. To educate. To heal. Some of my best healing comes from laughter - especially the laughter I get from my kids. They are the funniest and coolest people I know. How on earth they got that way despite me is beyond my imagination. But for all its worth I have to step out of my dark, gloomy, thought provoking comfort zone and just write. After all, I don't write to publish the next great American Novel (although we all secretively want to) I write because well, that's what I do. It's part of who I am and what I will be. Just like air, water, food, writing is a necessity for me. It makes me feel complete even if no one else sees it. If they do see it, it doesn't  matter. I didn't write it for them. I wrote it either for myself or because the voice, the Muse within me, said to. I write to give life to the world that lives within me. I write because that is who I am.

1 comments:

Regina said...

Writing is like therapy for me. It keeps me sane or lets me go a little off the edge when need be. That is one of the basic appeals for my need for writing. Either negative or positive, it helps keep me grounded so I don't fall off the edge of no return.

Post a Comment