Focus...communicating my future!

This blog was intended to be a platform for my ramblings about writing and even display some of my archaic works. The title, however, leads me to believe that perhaps this blog is much more than another want to be writer pushing herself out there to the world. It's the words that compose Cat. Composing Cat is my platform for me. So what's the big deal? I have a self discovery. I've discovered something I truly love. First, the boring background. I am a middle aged woman who is pursuing a degree. I do not put faith in sheep skin to make me all knowing and all wise. Unfortunately, because I like to eat and do not wish to do the same job forever nor do I wish to trade it for an equally minimal position, I feel the need and desire to get that all powerful parchment that will say to the world I am persistent enough to get a degree. I used to joke and say it didn't matter if I had a PhD in Pottery Making as long as I had documentation that I was college educated I could rule the world.

I am now drawing close to finishing my Associates in Arts. It's only be a 20 year journey. Oh sure, there's been obstacles i.e. having a family, working, not taking classes. The little things, you know. Luckily, I'm afforded a wonderful opportunity to now work at a Community College that allows us to take 6 credit hours free. Ya! This December, Lord willing and the creek don't rise, as they say around here, I will be not only the first high school graduate in my family but also the first to attend and graduate from College. But wait! There's more!

I'm not stopping. Not that it'll get me anywhere in life but I am continuing on transferring to one of our states larger Universities through a distance learning program, you know, online, weekend, etc. I have not chosen an English Major. While this is what most want to be writers would pursue I march to my own drum. Well, actually, not even a drum. Mine  is more like a MP3 player in need of Ritalin. As I said earlier in the post, I've fallen in love with....wait for it...wait for it...Communications. The study of how we communicate is fascinating to me. After all, we all do it...daily, hourly, with each blink, with each clearing of the throat, and even with the things we do not do. We communicate...there is just no way around it.

Tonight, while studying I had an epiphany. I have not only a desire to write (which learning to communicate couldn't hurt) but also to teach others how to effectively communicate. I live in a rural area. I'm not originally from here so I can look at this as an outsider but I've also been here close to two decades so I can also see it from an insider's view point as well. People do not treat others very well if they do not communicate "properly". What a shame too. There are so many people in this area who are so wise but discounted because they don't know how to effectively get their point across or even just present themselves in an understandable way. I'm not just talking about people sound "hick". I'm talking about people being able to stand up for themselves and being able to present themselves in a positive light so that they don't have to settle for the bare minimum.

I have so many ideas pumping around my brain tonight. While I'm a million years away from having a piece of paper that qualifies me for officially helping someone by teaching, I'm one step closer to the very thing that has been driving me for so long but I was unable to see it. I've always felt a pull to help people. It's in my nature. I come from helper people. No better than anyone else. No worse either. It's a great feeling though to know that I have a direction. A goal. Now perhaps even the words that I desire to fill the pages of my make believe worlds will flow a bit better...now that I've cleared one small hurdle. I've found a direction and a map to lead there. I'm sure there will be detours, road blocks, and even roads that will close altogether. Yet I feel a sense of accomplishment by just know that I have a passion for something that is dear to my hear and can possibly help so many others.

Good night all.
Cat

1 comments:

Regina said...

You are a beautiful communicator and there is no doubt in my mind that with your heart and mind set to it you will accomplish this goal. Congratulations on your road traveled so far. I am more and more inspired every time I read your posts. You have such a unique way of looking at the world and it make me look at it in a different way as would not normally do. I appreciate what you do and how hard you work. Keep writing and communicating and I will be here to encourage you the entire way there. Go for it!!!!

Post a Comment