Technological Torture

Not real torture. Really just being a spoiled geek. My laptop went out. The repair guy was sent a new motherboard, battery, and cord. I was so excited to see him come to my office today to fix my pink Dell. After all, today the biggest snow of the year (Its January for pete sakes) was falling on the ground outside. After 30 minutes of joyful celebration, he turned to me and said "I'm sorry but it appears the hard drive has failed. They didn't send one. I'll have to order it" That's my Technological Torture.

I've had this story come to me in pieces. Some large. Some small. All vivid and ready to be brought to life. I've not let them down. The words are hitting the pages. Only slowly. Slowly the fall on to the notebook pages and blank typing paper. Even a few have landed on the pages of a small notepad I keep in the car to record mileage. I'm keeping all these pages together in a three ring binder. They're waiting there. Not really patiently but they're waiting. Parts of the story come back to me from time to time. Changing their words, their character involvements, and more. It would be so much more pleasant if I could just type the words in the computer, rearrange them there when they called for it, and save them all without having to slow down for the movement of my hand to hit the page.

There is something to the whole manual writing process. I can write where ever I am and the words flow easily out of the pen. Well, except for the dialog which I need to get past my fear of. That will take time. Until the computer is fixed, until I can sit back with my laptop in any nook of my choice, I'll continue to pump out their words from my mind through my arm to my hand to the pen to the page below. They won't let me stop even if I wanted to. That's a good thing.
Category: 0 comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment