2010 Let the reading begin!

I use an online bookshelf to keep track of things I read (that's it over there on the right--->>). I stumbled acrossed it last year and fell in love with it. aNobii.com A quick rundown: You enter the books you've read, you are reading, you want to read, and even review books. You can check out other peoples shelves, read their reviews, and even see your compatability. My favorite feature is the Groups. Groups are  based on your interests. Its fun. One I belong to is a 50 Book Challenge. Some people do more. Some do less. Either way its a fun way to keep yourself accountable.

One of the members has added a twist to their challenge. They're going to blog each of their books. I thought this was a wonderful idea. I'll give it a go here. It'll help me come up with content for this blog. Plus it'll combine my two great loves: reading and writing. I always look for excuses to combine the two.

Looking back at 2009, (at least since I joined the site sometime in late spring, early summer), I've read 34 books (not counting text books) equalling 13,525 pages. Probably not alot for most but I impressed myself. Especially in the short time I recorded my reading list not to mention the countless pages of text material I covered last year.

Looking ahead to this year, I set my goal for the 50 books. I hope to pass ithat. No. I know I will pass that. More importantly, I have set a goal to read more variety. This past year I allowed myself to get caught up in the Paranormal Romance genre (aka vampire love stories). I'm not big on romance. I suppose when they threw in a few gory fight scenes they hooked me. So for 2010, I'll branch out.

At the moment, I'm reading On Writing by Stephen King (love this one) and The Elements of Style by William Strunk, Jr (this one I'll reread forever). I'm attempting my first audiobook with Dan Brown's The Symbol. I've never made it through one because the narrator's irk me. I'm going to look past that or at least attempt to. I spend a good half hour in the car one way Monday through Friday. I should put that time to good use.

That's my plan. At least my reading plan. I've been writing as much as reading. A writer friend and professor here where I work gave me some great advice last year. Just do it. Don't think. Just write. So far this year, its working. But that's a story for the other blog.

Happy New Year and Happy Reading!

0 comments:

Post a Comment