Musing Monday (July 25th)



Musing Mondays is a bookish meme hosted by MizB on Should be reading.
This week’s musing asks…
Do you need to have your owned books out where you can see them, or are you okay with them being stored away?

I can't stand to pack books away. That's evident by the mounds of books around my room. My bedroom, aka the Brain Cave, has a book shelf and then stacks throughout the room. Not the best places for books. I am an odd reader though. I don't hold on to books unless they really, really leave a mark on me. Then I have an uncontrollable urge to push them on to the people I love so they don't stay very long. Now that I have a Kindle I've kind of cut down on the book storage issue. (For those of you who say I love to hold a book, I was right there with you but have quickly grown to love my Kindle. Oh and if you just have to hold a book check out The Click Heard Round the World for an awesome cover project). 

I tend to trade out my books for other books at my favorite little used book store, Book and CD Hut, to support my own book habit and to support the local economy (small town USA needs your help). I've also thought about participating in a BookCrossing which is a way to connect others with books. The idea of leaving a book in a coffee shop, a laundromat, public bathroom, or even on top of a car for someone else to get the joy of reading really gets me excited. Yes, I know I'm a geek and I'm loving it. 

As for the original question? I never pack books up. It's like stifling a person in a box to me. I have my beloved keepers and I have my beloved "who's going to read this next" stacks. All in all I'm a happy with my arrangement and my relationship with my books. 

What about you? Do you display your make believe worlds proudly for all to see? or Do you keep them safe in a climate controlled box? Either way, happy reading everyone! 

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT with either the link to your own Musing Mondays post, or share your answer in a comment here (if you don’t have a blog). Thanks! 

PS: CMASH has a great book giveaway for MY RUBY SLIPPERS
THE ROAD BACK TO KANSAS over at CMASH Loves to Read  Go check it out. She's got some great book reviews as well! 

7 comments:

Frances said...

New follower. I love the BookCrossing idea! I am going to do that. How fun!
My MM is herehttp://alaskanbookcafe.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

I too resorted to the Kindle to see if it helped with my storage problems :)

Here's mine: http://amysbookden.blogspot.com/2011/07/musing-mondays-2.html

Gigi Ann said...

First thanks for visiting My Reading Corner today.

I love displaying my unread books, the read ones I donate to the library or give them away, whatever is leftover goes in the bookcase of my books I have read. I hardly ever reread a book, there are too many waiting on my bookshelves waiting to be opened and read.

Shelly said...

The books I have, I display. As for the Kindle, it's great to take to work, to the coffee shop, and for plane trips. I love both. I love learning books in paper and my novels on Kindle.

Unknown said...

LOL, I love "the brain cave". Very cute.

here's mine:
http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2011/07/musing-mondays_25.html

caite said...

I like the idea of random leaving books for others...but how I be sure they get a good home?! They might come to harm!

Regina said...

I have all of mine in my cabinet. Right now I just have two shelves. Read and To Be Read. :)

Post a Comment