Wanting more of Christmas Spirit - RAK (Random Act of Kindness)

Christmas has come and gone...for the most part. I still have some Christmas to share with Little Bit who has been at his Dad's through Christmas. Overall, it's done. I had quite a good Christmas although there's some funny stories and not so funny stories I'll share later. Now is reflection time. Time to look at the upcoming year, the last year, and all the things we think we'll accomplish over the next 12 months. I didn't make any resolutions last year so I'm good. I have been giving it serious thought this year though. I've decided I like goals better than resolutions. I'm setting ten simple, common sense goals to pursue over the next year. Hopefully I can accomplish them. This got me to thinking though. All through Christmas everyone dashes out to help the less fortunate, the downtrodden, those in need. Why only Christmas? And why only those financial in distress? This year I noticed quite a few in need of spirit assistance rather than financial assistance. I'm not saying that those in financial need don't need our attention. Not in the least. I wish I could do more to help those but since I'm not in a financial place to help them I have to look at what I can do. I ran into two great site this morning that caused the light bulb effect. You know that one, right? The one where you have the cartoon light bulb go flashy over your head with a bright idea? Yep, that one. 

One of site is called Gift a Stranger. I'm not sure about this one but I like the idea. You sign in and get a random address of someone in the world and send them a gift. Most of the address are international though. I like the concept though. Just randomly send someone a gift. For no reason at all. I like this. Maybe not this site for me but the thought of randomly sending someone a gift or a card just to say Thank you for being here on earth. I like this idea.  This led me to site number two: Random Acts of Kindness Again, how great does it feel to get something you weren't expecting for no reason at all? I love the ideas on this site. Between the two sites, I've decided I want to do something like this in my own neck of the woods. I can't afford to go buy fancy do dads but I can make things or even pick up a card to randomly drop off to someone without their knowledge to say Thank you for being you. I hope it'll make someone's day brighter. My plan is to work my local mail room. At work that is. I work for a community college with 8 sites. I can slip little things into campus mail and no one will be the wiser for it. I can even slip things into people's shopping carts, tables, car windshields, or just random places.

First, let me tell you that I love making people smile and laugh. Second, I cry easily at happy and kind gestures. Luckily, computer screens don't show tear drops. I say this because if you knew me you'd understand that I'll be liquefied in no time if I follow through with this.  Which I plan to.

Second, let me just say I'll tell my stories here but I'll deny them in public. I don't want to do this for gratification from others. I want to do this to truly make others have better days. I feel we can make a difference in the world if we can just change attitudes one at a time. It's really all in how we look at the world that we see the world. If we can see the world in a brighter light maybe, just maybe, it'll actually be a little brighter. I know that sounds cheesy but I really want the world to be a better place. If nothing else, maybe someone will have a better day. It may not change the world but maybe it'll change someone's day. With all the negatives coming at us everyday what could it hurt to be kind and for no reason at all brighten someone's day? 

So what would you like to receive as a RAK item? I need ideas....got any? 
Category: 0 comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment