Paper doll

I wrote this poem with thoughts of my grandmother. A small moment in time that seared this imagine in my heart.  I hope you like it.

Paper Doll 
By Catherine Russell

Soft paper-like skin
lays over vessels glowing
translucently under
a thin veil of tissue
pulsing the remains
of life left in an aging body.
A snow white cap
peaks over eyes
containing within them
miles of memories
of a life lead.
Lines divide and connect
the contours edging a smile
of gaiety that covers
a deeper sadness.
Cool brittle hands
flutter up to cover
a mouth of missing teeth
as cackling laughter
escape the lips.
A warm flush spreads
across the cheeks
just below the surface
of the thin paper veil
that is her skin.
Eyes of gray
glisten in the crevices
as a tear of joy
escapes the corner.
A simple moment
in this paper doll’s life
A memory forever
in my heart.

As always this is my intellectual property and cannot be shared without my expressed written permission. 
Category: 0 comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment